10.16.2012

How to tackle the grocery store (Part 1)

I love the grocery store. However I do get a lot of questions about how I approach grocery shopping so I am starting a series on it! Part 1 is about making out your grocery list. This is a huge part of being a successful and smart grocery shopper.

One device that I always take to the grocery store with me is my phone. With all the great apps its a great way to tackle the grocery store. One of my favorite is Fooducate. Download it!!! Its like taking your own personal dietician to the grocery store with you.

A little more about Fooducate:

Are you confused by ingredient lists, nutrition labels, health claims and marketing hype?
Fooducate is here to help. We are a team of parents, dietitians, and techies. We realize that at the supermarket you have very little time to analyze food labels and extract the information that is important to you. We'd like to help you make better choices for you and your family.
Get the Fooducate mobile application and use it to:
  • Automatically scan a product barcode
  • See product highlights (both good & bad)
  • Compare products
  • Select better alternatives
  • Dig deeper and learn more about food and nutrition
Features:
  • Created by dietitians and concerned parents
  • Uses your mobile's camera to effortlessly scan UPC barcode
  • Over 200,000 unique products and growing daily
  • Simplified information helps you make better choices
  • Works on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Android OS version 2.2 and up

My basic grocery list in my phone (which I keep in my notes on the iPhone) looks like this: I also always keep on hand a variety of nuts (almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts) and protein bars (Quest bars are my favorite- I will do a post on these a little later!). 



In addition to my basic list I also try to make a general meal plan for the week. I write it all down so that I know what items I may need to pick up in addition to my weekly staples. The weekly menu planner I use is from http://organizedhome.com/printable/household-notebook/weekly-menu-planner-shopping-list

Sample :)


Get that list ready and I will get Part 2 finished :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment